Wednesday, December 2, 2015

End of Class Reflection

 
 
 
 
Unpopular Opinion Puffin : Life Is Good - by Anonymous
In these two pictures, what has changed is my relaxation level. While of course, a new start in a new place was daunting, I was excited and optimistic. While I still have my happy and optimistic attitude, Santa Clara is not daunting to me anymore. I am happy with what I'm doing here. It is a place that I am comfortable and familiar with, where I am having a great experience.
Three things that really stick with me in my understand of leadership are the power of being good at public speaking, not being afraid to say what you think, and knowing how to be diplomatic. My passion and understanding of the importance of public speaking came from various experiences. I had an elementary school teacher who made everyone read their writings in front of the class, which I easily got used to. Then, when I went to a middle school with an entirely different student body, many of them had a horrible time with it and it wasn't a big deal to me. Seeing the contrast between different levels of public speaking skill showed me how to work on my own. My passion for speaking in front of an audience continued when I became involved with theater in high school. I have now reached the point that performing with an audience rarely intimidates to me and I plan to use that as a leader in the future.  I also value being able to say what you think just from interactions with other people over the years. In life, not everyone is going to have the same opinion with you, but that does not mean one should not defend one's own beliefs within reason. The power of being diplomatic also just came to me from my interactions with other people. Those who knew when to be assertive and when diplomacy just get along with people. All in all, getting along with other people is one of the most important parts of leadership.
I think that the biggest thing I want to continue to build on in my leadership journey is my involvement in activities.  During this quarter, I have stage managed a Senior Dance Recital at Fess Parker Studio Theater, worked backstage in the Theater Department's Main Show, and gotten involved with a Folkloric dancing group. I have enjoyed every single one of these experiences. They were fun, exciting, and empowering, especially because I have never done specific things like these before.  My belief is that one of the most important parts of leadership is putting oneself out there and trying new things, which I will continue to do throughout my time at Santa Clara.
Overall guys, thank you so much for a great class. You are all awesome people and I hope to see more of you throughout our four years here at this awesome university.

No comments:

Post a Comment