Saturday, October 17, 2015

MBTI Reflection

Upon reflection, the MBTI test reminded me of the test from the Divergent Books (proud Erudite over here!), although obviously with a far less grand scale impact. My results of the MBTI test, however, were not inclusive but actually ISTJ, which is short for Introvert, Sensing, Thinking, Judging. I was not especially concerned about the results of my test because I feel that I know myself pretty well. Therefore, my initial reaction to seeing my results was just, “Oh yeah, that pretty much fits.” It was more as we went over the different types that I became amused about how much every letter was so me.
I am more naturally an introvert. I, of course, really like interacting with people, I just tend to gravitate towards doing that in a smaller scale. Admittedly, yes the idea of that movie night sounded really fun to me. J Sensing also fits me perfectly because I tend to look at the facts and then promptly overanalyze them. The thinking versus feeling exercise fascinated me because it was such a compelling reminder of how often the two of them intersect. After all, I can bet cutthroat when I need to be, but when possible, I always try to be kind and fair. As for judging, first off, while no I do not hate any of my classes (that just happened to come out wrong), I do like planning out my work schedule in order to get my homework done the most efficiently, as it just makes life easier and leaves more room open for the fun stuff.  I like to plan out events and vacations, although of course nowhere near Sheldon level. Big Bang Theory shout out anyone? :)
What I found most interesting about this exercise is that none of my results went above low moderate; my highest score was an 8.  There’s a reason this test is called the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, not the Myers Briggs Personality Confirmation.  While we all have naturally tendencies, we all vary.  If only that thought had ever occurred to the political leaders in Divergent… But then again, if that were the case, we wouldn’t have had a pretty fun book series.
I did end up Googling famous ISTJs and found some pretty awesome results.  A few of my favorite fellow ISTJs include George Washington, Sigmund Freud, Sean Connery, Robert De Niro, Condoleeza Rice, Danica MacKellar, and Elizabeth II.  While I could have done without Richard Nixon and a famous Nazi general being on this list, I think I did pretty well.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I agree with your description of the MBTI and your clarification of it as an indicator not a personality confirmation. We don't all fit into boxes or the items listed perfectly and should not be expected to fit in them. Also its interesting how we are the complete opposite personality type, as I am an ENFP but I also identify with several aspects of the other letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insight but also your confidence that this review is not all of you! I think we (and by that, I mean me) sometimes feel nervous at the possibility of being boxed in, or limited in our thinking but I think you took the best parts of this assignment and used it very well, which I think speaks to your own sense of peace and self-creation that our world, and those like it (Divergent :) could certainly benefit from!

    P.S. Love to the Big Bang shout out :)

    ReplyDelete